- 1 What is the best coffee machine?
- 2 Coffee maker history
- 3 Types of coffee makers
- 4 List of different types of coffee
- 5 Correct cleaning in coffee makers
What is the best coffee machine?
How many times have we heard many people that they cannot start working without the first morning coffee? Without a doubt, it is one of the most consumed products in the world. That is why it is not surprising that there is a large supply of coffee makers in the market . We find them for all budgets and all kinds and it is not easy to opt for one.
Therefore, here is a guide on the best coffee makers on the market , so you can have a clearer idea when choosing one.
Coffee maker history
The coffee maker was definitely a genius that decimated the old-fashioned coffee brewing time, the exact year of this creation is not known with certainty, but the estimated century in which it was invented is known. Approximately between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries he came to stay, thus helping all those housewives and men also (more than all the humble and those who could afford it) to prepare a rich coffee at any time of the day. Although it is necessary to know that since 1400 and perhaps before, coffee was already taken in other latitudes such as in the lands of Syria and Turkia with a more artisanal modality.
Whose idea was originally the “coffee maker”?
It was Sir Benjamin Thompson (inventor, British physicist) born in the year 1753 and died in the year 1814, he was known as the Count of Rumford. Other inventions and improvements are attributed to other devices, but the drip coffee maker was designed at the end of the 18th century almost in the 19th century, among other devices.
It could be said that the beginning of the evolution of coffee machines began with this British physicist, since later in the nineteenth century onwards, other innovations for the product came and that, of course, not all occurred in Germany or England, but in France, later in Italy and little by little until reaching the most modern and technological coffee makers of today; The materials for making coffee makers are diverse, it can be metal, plastics, glass and composite materials.
Types of coffee makers
Once you have decided what type of coffee you would like to make, you have to choose between the right machines that suit you best. The best would be those that adapt to your personality and your needs .
Let’s talk about:
1) Filter and drip coffee makers .
2) Espresso machines .
3) Capsule coffee makers .
4) Of others not so well known but that may interest you.
So we will indicate some types of machine and the step by step procedure of its use. Hopefully this gives you a good understanding of the good things and bad things of each type of these coffee servers.
1. Filter / drip coffee makers
Coffee filter machines work from top to bottom. Water is poured into a water tank on the top and is heated with a built-in heating device. Hot water drips through a filter filled with ground coffee. Finally, the coffee leaves the filter into a pot at the bottom. Most machines have a heating plate on the bottom to keep coffee hot.
Preparing coffee with filter and drip coffee makers:
1. Put a coffee filter in the filter basket.
2. Fill the filter with ground coffee – the amount of coffee depends on your preference.
3. Pour the water into the water compartment.
4. Press the button and wait until the coffee is made.
We will see the ones that are selling more this year
- Built-in water heater, which means it is not necessary to boil water first.
- It comes with a heating plate that keeps the coffee warm.
- Large capacity, machines of this type usually make 8 to 12 cups of coffee at once.
- It takes time to prepare a cup full of coffee (an average of 10 minutes).
- It limits you to making filtered coffee only.
- Filter replacement can be expensive (if disposable filter is used).
- Need to clean the filter after use (if a permanent filter is used).
Price range : If what you want is a simple cup of coffee, the types of filter coffee machines certainly work well. But if you want something of cafeteria quality, you will have to look for an espresso machine or a coffee maker for capsules. The prices of one coffee maker per filter range from 69 to 150$.
2. Espresso coffee machines
If you like strong and intense coffee , an espresso machine would be your best choice . First, the water is heated to the optimum temperature at about 90 ° C. Remember that boiling water ruins coffee, giving it a bitter taste.
We will see those espresso coffee machines that are selling more this year .
Preparing coffee with espresso coffee types:
1. Fill the filter holder with ground coffee.
2. Ram the coffee according to your preference.
3. Place the filter holder in the machine and turn until it is tight.
4. The elaboration process begins.
5. An espresso should be ready in about 30 seconds.
- Espresso machines can also be used to make latte or cappuccino coffee. Many of them come with a milk frother that is used for the preparation of steamed milk and milk froth for this purpose.
- It can also be used to prepare other types of coffee: Mocha, macchiato, Americano, etc.
- Some models allow ground coffee and ESE capsules that may be convenient.
- It takes only 30 seconds to prepare an espresso shot .
- They get dirty quickly and require frequent cleaning.
- You can only make a maximum of 2 cups of coffee at a time, so you have to repeat the process a few more times if you want more coffee.
- The size is usually larger than a normal pot.
Price range : You can find some espresso machines for less than 50$. One that is of higher quality and with more functions usually costs over 100 $. But remember, being more expensive does not mean it is better. You can get a pretty good between 70 and 200 $.
Then the hot water passes through the ground coffee to a certain pressure bar in order to produce a small cup of strong coffee .
Surely you see that there are mainly two types of coffee machines on the market : the pump- driven and the steam- powered ones . The difference between these two machines is the way they produce pressure . The steam ones only produce about 2-4 bars of pressure while the pump machines can reach up to 9 bars of pressure, but they are more expensive.
The pressure bar is important, as it is required to make a good espresso. A good espresso machine should have a good creamy golden layer that stays on top of the coffee maker . The cream is an extract of pure coffee, which is rich in flavor. In order to get a good cream, high pressure is a must and you should definitely choose between pump-powered coffee makers if you want good quality espresso coffee.
3. Capsule coffee machines
Instead of using ground coffee or beans, capsule coffee makers use pre-packaged sealed coffee capsules containing ground coffee inside. The capsules are pierced when inserted into the machine. Hot water passes through the capsules under certain pressure bars and eventually produces a cup of hot drink . These are coffee makers with an easy-to-use capsule system that is gaining popularity in Spain and around the world. This could also be the new trend of types of homemade coffee makers.
These are the coffee machines with capsules that are being bought more this year .
When it comes to choosing among the best coffee machines per capsule, you can find that there are several brands for the same model, for example, a Nespresso coffee maker for Krups. This is because the coffee company (Nespresso, for example) usually associates with many machine manufacturers (for example, Krups, Migimix , DeLonghi etc). You can only choose the one that is cheaper because apart from the names, there are rarely differences.
Preparing coffee with capsule coffee makers:
1. Fill the water tank.
2. Insert a coffee capsule.
3. Press the button and a cup of hot coffee will be ready very soon.
- It is very easy to make a cup of coffee.
- It is not limited to coffee, you can also buy capsules for hot chocolate or iced tea.
- Unlike ground coffee that loses its freshness after a week of opening the package, the capsules can be stored and kept fresh for months.
- The design of these machines tends to be stylized and elegant, and looks great in the kitchen.
- It is not as complicated as other machines that use ground coffee.
- Easy to clean.
- You can only use the capsules that are manufactured by the same company of your coffee machines. For example, the Nespresso machine only uses capsules of this same brand. Update: You can already find white label in many! 🙂
- The capsules are more expensive than ground coffee, although not much. It can go to 20 cents .
- Some capsules are not recyclable, although there are alternatives.
Prices and offers : Capsule coffee machines or pods are increasingly popular and you can find them at a price between 50 and 90$. Most new models are sold above 100, and come with more features such as automatic volume control, etc.
If you are a fan of coffee and tea, you love having all that functionality, a high range of coffee machines per capsule would suit you. They usually cost over 200 euros. You can see offers on our entire page. Most models have a cup warmer and an integrated milk vaporizer tube so you can make a professional cappuccino.
4. More types of coffee machines
We have mentioned the filter, espresso and capsules. However, there are some that you may not see so often but that also have a place in the market and are still used the same, we are talking about:
- Italian coffee . For black coffee and espresso . Also known as moka. The typical, available as if it were a pot to heat in our stoves although there is also the version of electric Italian coffee makers . Ground coffee is needed on one side and water on the other. As the water is heated and it starts to boil, it is thrown up to where the coffee is located, which then ends up filter at the base. It must be said that it takes longer than with a coffee machine, but the rich aroma makes it worth waiting a while longer. In my case I have had this model and I have not finished liking it either.
- Coffee press . Coffee black . Also known as French or piston coffee maker. It is not really a machine, but if you are a new person in how to make good coffee or just want to do it occasionally, this is perfect to start. Hot water is mixed with ground coffee, left and then pressed its pressure bar down. A filter separates coffee from water and will be ready to be taken.
- Coffee pump . For espresso . It works with the thermoblock system (you can know more on our home page). The water is heated around between 85 and 92 degrees, since it is the temperature to boil coffee without burning. Then a high pressure pump forces the water through the coffee to get the character and the rich aroma, although only one coffee at a time.
- Coffee pressure . For espresso, cappuccino and late . The water is heated in a compartment and when the pressure and irrigation are strong enough, it is forced to go through the coffee. In addition, it can also be used with milk.
List of different types of coffee
If you are a beginner in the world of coffee and do not know much about the difference between Cappuccino and American, then start at Amazon. You can also jump to another section to check out critical reviews of the best coffee machines.
The process of making coffee always involves grinding the seeds and then boiling them with hot water to extract the flavor. What differentiates an espresso from a filtered coffee is the fineness of the grind and the way in which the hot water mixes with the ground coffee (to grind it you will need a coffee grinder ). Here is a list of the different types of coffee:
- Filtered coffee or drip coffee . This is done by dripping hot water through a filter that is filled with ground coffee, and finally in a pot. The usual size of a filtered coffee is 240 ml and contains about 90 to 200 mg of caffeine. Filtered coffee can be prepared by using a filter coffee maker.
- Espresso . This is a small cup of strong coffee. The usual size of a small espresso is 30 ml, which contains approximately 80 mg of caffeine. You should also have a good cream, which is a layer of creamy and golden foam found on the top of the coffee maker. Espresso can be made by using espresso machines or those that use capsules.
- Cappuccino . It is prepared with espresso, hot milk and milk foam. The traditional cappuccino consists of 1/3 of coffee, 1/3 of hot milk and 1/3 of frothy milk. It can also be prepared with espresso machines since some of them come with a milk frother, which allows you to make the cappuccino. Alternatively, it can be made with coffee capsule coffee makers .
- Caffelatte or Latte . This means “coffee with milk” and is made with espresso and hot milk. A standard 240ml milk coffee is usually made from a single espresso (30 ml), a large part of the hot milk and finally a layer of foamy milk.
- Mochaccino or Mocha . This is done by mixing a small espresso with hot chocolate.
- American . It is made by combining hot water with espresso coffee. Caffeine by volume is similar to filtered coffee, but the taste is different.
Correct cleaning in coffee makers
It is important to maintain good hygiene of all the elements of your kitchen and among it is the coffee machine (no matter if you have it in the office or another place, the important thing is that you must clean it every so often) that you must clean every day If possible, if you are a person who consumes a lot of coffee every day because if you forget in two days change the coffee waste or waste you can end up with a mold hive in your coffee maker or other bacteria.
For cleaning your coffee maker you will need:
• Vinegar or lemon
• Distilled water or as clean as possible
• Sodium bicarbonate
• Dish soap or other non-abrasive kitchen cleaning liquid
• A clean sponge or a brush for scrubbing soft bristles
• A clean cloth
Now follow the steps below:
- If your jug is made of glass, be careful, in the same way you always read the instructions for use that the coffee maker brings when you buy it.
- The first thing you should do is disassemble the coffee maker to separately clean the pieces that make it up, the ones that are removable you will soak them if it is your preference, in a bucket with hot soapy water but, wash them one by one with the sponge Directly in the dishwasher, it will also depend on whether the parts of your appliance can be washed or not there.
- Then use the clean cloth dampened with soapy water and clean the outside of your coffee maker, if you want you can do it on the plug cord, but be careful not to wet the plug pins.
- Use the baking soda and vinegar to soak the bottom of the coffee pot where the water tank is to remove the embedded particles and kill any bacteria that may inhabit there; for half an hour, then you turn on the coffee maker as if you were making coffee and when you go through the middle of the water meter turn it off and leave it for half an hour more, at the end of that time the substance drops.
- Finally, prepare the coffee maker with clean water as if you were making coffee so you can throw away any particles that may have been left in the coffee maker; With this you have your clean and germ-free coffee maker.
Decalcifier for coffee makers
For many, the term descaler is not well known, basically they are to reduce or eliminate the lime present in the water (along with any other component that comes in the water) and can come in liquid or tablets. This substance immediately removes the existing lime in the water you use to make coffee and always check the instruction manual to know how much you should use as a descaler and in how many cycles.
A deep descaling should be done once every 3 to 6 months, depending on how many times you use the coffee maker and the lime present in the water; In the market there is a great variety for each type of coffee maker.
1. Do not leave the lid where you place the water open. You can put unwanted animals.
2. To avoid adding more oil to the coffee maker and avoid unpleasant flavors in the coffee, use a jar that is reserved only for water.
3. Use a microfiber cloth.
4. Place a glass marble in the water compartment to attract mineral deposits from hard water.
5. Wash it once a week and don’t wet the suiche a lot because you can damage it.