Do you like being able to sew your own clothes or in fact make arrangements at home? Having your own sewing machine will be essential but which one do we have to choose? Learn now to know how to choose, easily, your first sewing machine.
The sewing machine has a very specific function is to sew clothes or fabrics, but the truth is that we can find on the market different types depending , for example, if we want to sew with them fabrics hard as jeans or jeans, or for example we will use it daily or maybe we want to take it with us on a trip.
On the other hand, we must also take into account the price , which is also one of the determining factors to opt for a sewing machine or another and of course, know what functions or what elements our sewing machine includes as the type of needle or that is able to give the type of stitch that is needed.
The truth is that as soon as you start looking for your sewing machine, you will realize the wide range of models that some of them are very professional; but if it is the first sewing machine you buy , maybe you should opt for a basic model that yes, you can not miss anything we now tell you.
The first of all is to opt for a type of sewing machine that meets the following conditions:
- Choose a machine that is portable with a removable , rigid or cloth cover, with a plastic carrying handle;
- Make it intuitive when it comes to threading the upper thread , the lower bobbin and the choice of stitches during sewing;
- That it is equipped with some basic accessories , such as some coils and tools for machine maintenance;
- Have a design that allows you a comfortable job ;
- That has double elevation of the foot to sew thicker and heavier fabrics.
Steps to know how to choose your first sewing machine:
From these characteristics indicated you may already find your first sewing machine but you can also ask yourself a series of questions that will help you opt for the right model.
Why and why do I want a sewing machine?
The million dollar question!!! It is the first thing you have to answer before buying your first sewing machine. And this does not mean that because you just take the first steps in sewing you have to have a simple machine. Rather it has to do with our future goal.
It is not the same to buy a sewing machine to make the odd domestic arrangement than if what you plan is to train at a professional level and to one day live in fashion. So you have to be realistic and be very clear about the use that we are going to give to the sewing machine. And nobody knows you better than yourself, what are your costly expectations and what are your limitations. That is why I do not consider that there is a rule that implies beginner = basic sewing machine , the ideal is to buy a machine that offers you certain possibilities to learn and evolve with it.
1. Type of sewing
Do you like creative sewing, tailoring or both? First of all, you must understand how much you like to sew, because if you want to do creative sewing, you must get a sewing machine that is capable of making basic points, consecutive points, zigzag, reinforcement and elastic points. In addition, in the case of creative sewing it is important that the machine can adapt to free movement or patchwork and of course, that is capable of sewing and circular stitches.
What is the budget you have? We have already said that you must take into account that there are sewing machines of different types but also, for the choice of the first sewing machine, when your inclinations are not yet clear, it is good to set a budget and look within the range of the machine that I can meet your needs. The basic advice is not to buy a first super-equipped machine , thinking that everything can be useful. Often, despite the machine’s potential, we insist on always using the same functions without experiencing new possibilities. For this reason, if you do not first realize your tastes in terms of handmade sewing , it is good to prefer a machine with basic functions and some stitchesDecorative , without exaggeration.
3. What brand should I buy?
What I recommend is to buy a sewing machine of known brand. For two reasons, first of all for advice. Many brands today offer free short courses to teach you how to use your sewing machine. Second, by the technical service. This topic is important in case you need spare parts, arrangements and tuning of your sewing machine.
You can also get accessories easily and anywhere in the world
How to realize if it is a good sewing machine? What do I have to keep in mind?
- Say No to plastic: Machines that have their housing and structure with a lot of plastic have less durability and strength. How do I realize? In weight. A good sewing machine has a good weight, this gives us the pattern that all components are metal and not plastic. In addition, a machine with good weight achieves greater stability on the table when sewing.
- Not having more stitches is a better machine, the purchase decision of your sewing machine should not be based on the number of different stitches you have. Since, basically we always use the same stitches and very sporadically some decorative stitch. With basic stitch I mean straight, zigzag, simil overlock, buttonhole and some other. It is advisable to also have Selector stitch width and the length Stitch separately. That will allow us to choose the measures that we like most in each job and for each Stitch.
- We must demand the machine test. Obviously we are not going to try all the stitches of the machine in the place, but with that the straight stitch is constant, regular, crisp on both sides and fluid we know that all the others will be fine. So if you have doubts about choosing between a machine that has 7 stitches and one that has 16, choose the one that is best price-quality-brand-power , rather than the stitches.
- What a thing everything! A good machine has speed and strength. And the type of fabric that the sewing machine can sew is another element that we must take into account. It is not the same to sew a gauze than a jean (thick cloth) or a quilting (several layers of fabric), so we must check the force of the motor and the drag , as well as a speed regulator. Needless to say, when sewing large and heavy pieces we must do it at a lower speed than with other lighter materials. There are some types of fabrics that require special needles, and we must also keep this in mind.
- Presser foot and accessories: Do not worry about buying all the accessories for your machine. To begin with, the “multipurpose” foot is enough for most fabrics, one foot for closure, one foot for invisible closure and one for invisible stitch. Many machines come with these basic presser foot, in addition to the rest of accessories for the maintenance and use of the machine. I recommend that the presser have an “easy change” system, which prevents you from being, every two by three, with the screwdriver or the screw to change between a presser foot and another.
4. Electronic or mechanical machine
But of course, it couldn’t be all so pretty. Electronics are generally more expensive and more “delicate” (to call it somehow) than mechanics.
Are you going to sew a lot or a little? This parameter should not be underestimated. If you are going to sew every day, you should focus on something durable, which can withstand daily sewing hours, unlike those that sew for pleasure, perhaps in your spare time.
6. The final choice
Once you have clearly assessed these parameters, just go to the actual search for your first sewing machine, possibly with the opportunity to test it directly. Let’s say that a machine for beginners, equipped with basic stitches, with some decorative stitches, which is sturdy and easy to handle, can be easily purchased at a price that ranges from $ 200 to $300.
Finally, before choosing your sewing machine consider 3 important factors :
- Possibility to test the machine , evaluate its level of functionality and its approach with the different models;
- Warranty coverage , which is generally 2 years. This allows you to return the machine if it has manufacturing defects and get a replacement one for free;
- Possibility of accessing assistance quickly and easily if necessary
It is best to go with a clear idea to the store so as not to “distract” with the whole range of machines and thus focus on our goal: to find your ideal sewing machine. Ask and buy, as well as talk to acquaintances or friends who have sewing machines to inform you of all the possibilities and differences between some options and others. Have you already chosen your next sewing machine?