With the digitalization of documents and wanting to be “paperless”, the world of printers has been reduced to certain market niches as companies or professionals. However, it is a peripheral that is not usually missing at home and where the offer is wide and varied, with models that barely cost a few tens of euros.
Which one to choose then? We help you choose the best printer for home use according to your needs and budget .
- 1 How to choose the right printer
- 2 Printer buying guide: recommended models
- 3 The best Printer for home recommended for you
How to choose the right printer
When choosing a home printer, the price should be the decision element once I have selected several models that meet our main needs. What we should look at before buying a printer has to do with printing technology, cost of each page, speed, size, functionality and even the type of connectivity.
Printer types by functionality
The functionality of a printer is the ability to perform different tasks with a single device. Based on this differentiation we can choose to:
- Basic printer : it is one that limits its use to print documents, either with cables or wirelessly.
- Multifunction printer : refers to printers that add the functions of scanning, copying and still in some cases, fax.
- Photo printer : it can be basic or multifunction but specially designed for photo printing, admitting paper in photo format, better printing technology, extra inks with higher quality pigments and a resolution higher than basic or non-photographic multifunction.
Multifunction models are the most abundant in the market for their versatility, and are a temptation for their price almost identical to the most basic models.
But do not get carried away by it and if you take into account that you do not scan more than very sporadically and that the scanning programs with a single photo of your smartphone have improved a lot, choosing a multifunction means that you will have a model of more consumption and larger In general, although in both aspects much progress has been made in recent years and we can now choose very compact multifunction models. If in spite of everything you choose it, make sure that the resolution of the scanner is what you need (in dpi).
Connectivity and screen
The time when printing required to have the printer physically next to it luckily passed. Except in the most basic models, connectivity has reached the world of printers to facilitate the task and to dispense with cables.Of the extra investments in a printer, which has WiFi connectivity is one of the ones that you will take advantage of and thank over time
Currently, the most practical connectivity is WiFi , which adds to bluetooth connectivity so that also from a mobile phone and through an app, we can send prints to be made.
If you do not have a fixed work site, which is common with laptops at home, the investment in a printer model with Wi-Fi connectivity will be one of the things you most appreciate. If it also includes technologies to print from a smartphone , you will end up using more than you thought. Also look for Wi-Fi Direct not to depend on an access point, as well as NFC for direct and simple connectivity with smartphones.
The screen is another element that may seem unimportant but it helps a lot if our printer has complex settings or we even want to use it without a PC or other device. A USB port / card slot will be enough to connect a portable memory or memory card directly to the printer and from there, without a computer or smartphone in between, to be able to print a document or image.
From the choice of the type of printer we want and the connectivity we want, there are another series of extras to consider.
Among the ones we are going to want the most can be automatic paper loading (practical if you print a lot) from a hidden area and where we place the paper permanently, as well as double-sided printing so as not to have to do it manually. We must also be attentive to the quality of paper supported (maximum weight) because it is an important value in the printing of quality photos or documents with paper that we would even want to be cardboard type .If we talk about inkjet printing, the capacity of the cartridges and the price of the original and compatible ones should never be forgotten.
Having the automatic double-sided function can save time and paper because if the printer does not do it automatically, it is likely that we will not print using both sides of the paper due to the laziness of having to put it back in the tray, print in batches (even or odd) and also succeed in the orientation in which we place the paper. And when we finally get it right, after many trial / error, for the next time we will have forgotten it.
Another data associated with a printer is the yield of pages per cartridge, a figure that, being based on a test standard and depending on so many factors, often leads to confusion.
Finally, do not forget about the printing speed of each page, data that all printers offer although for the home user, and except for specific cases, it is not excessively decisive.
Although we have left it for the latter, the choice of printing technology is the most important decision we must make. The final cost of our investment in the printer in the medium and long term will depend on it.
It is the most common technology in the consumer market. In this type of printers you have to look at how many cartridges it includes, the capacity of the same and of course the price of them. The compatible cartridge market is also key to saving.
Here we should not get carried away by the initial thrill of seeing a printer at a very low price because perhaps we will end up paying more with the original spare parts at the price of almost a new printer. If you think about changing the printer with each end of the cartridges, the series cartridges (presentation cartridges) are not always the same capacity as the ones we buy later, and of course think about the environment, expense and recycling of that printer .If you consider buying a new printer when you run out of series cartridges, you have probably made a wrong model choice
The number of copies we make is important in this type of printer . It should not be too high, which would cause the cost per page to skyrocket, but not too low. In this second case, the ink cartridges could dry out, in addition to having to perform numerous cleaning of the printing nozzles, which is a very important expense of ink in this type of printers.
If you do not need to print in color, currently both for sporadic prints and for large volumes, it is more advisable to opt for a low-cost entry-level monochrome laser model.
- Laser printers
Somewhat more bulky than inkjet printers, and less integrated into the environment, laser printers are gradually gaining a dent outside offices and workplaces. In the home it is already common to see them since those that print only in black and white have substantially reduced their price .If you have enough with monochrome printing, do not hesitate to choose a laser printer whether you print a lot or sporadically
This type of printers do not use ink cartridges but toner (powdered pigments) and the cost per page is usually lower than with inkjet. If we want to basically print documents, they offer good quality even in affordable models. In that range we find mainly black and white eb models, something that limits the type of printing we can do.
- Ink tank printers
A third alternative in the consumer market, which appeared not long ago, is the inkjet printer but with tanks / tanks instead of the typical cartridges . Its direct advantages are the cost per copy, which is substantially reduced with respect to inkjet with cartridges, because we only have to refill with ink and not buy the entire cartridge. They are suitable for those who need inkjet technology but have a high workload and printing, along with frequent use.
Against him he plays that they are still bulky models because of the space that the deposit system should occupy, and that the initial investment far exceeds that of an inkjet model with cartridges of similar characteristics. In any case it would be amortizable with a high number of impressions, above 5000 pages per year.
Printer buying guide: recommended models
Once we have reviewed the most common types of printers in the consumer and SME market, as well as the features and benefits that we should look at before choosing one model or another, we will begin to recommend a selection of varied models and in many price ranges depending on of the use you are going to give to your next printer.
Printers if you are going to print very little
Although in some houses the use of the printer is sporadic, a model is usually maintained for those documents or images that we must take out sometime and that we do not want to refer to a copy shop for convenience. They tend to be very low cost and inkjet models , to reduce that initial investment when trying to print little, although we must always have the precautions associated with such technology to avoid costing each print we make every now and then.
In these domestic situations the printer does not have a specific role, it is almost always convenient to choose a multifunction model that also serves us to perform scans, if we do not want to do them with the tools that already incorporate our smartphones using the cameras.
The best Printer for home recommended for you
- You can use your smartphones or a tablets to connect with the HP Tango mobile printer and control your smartphone printer with a tap and a swipe.
- With true-to-life and borderless color photos will fit in to your active lifestyle. Plus high-quality documents will make you surprised.
- You can print hands-free using only your voice thanks to HP Tango works with Amazon Alexa, Microsoft Cortana, and Google Home.
- Printing your documents anywhere you go by using the hp smart app to access your smartphone printer from your phone and check ink and paper levels.
- With the Pixma TS6220 Print all of your everyday printing needs such as your documents, reports, party invitations and even photos quickly and easily
- For easily use it everyday, the Pixma TSS 6220 features built in Wifi,
- having a 5 color individual ink system so you can replace the specific color when it out of ink.
- Thanks to wireless connect you can setup in a easily way, right from your smartphone or tablet.
- Make copies quickly and scan important documents right to your smartphone with the built in scanner
- Max. Resolutions : Optical:1200 x 2400 dpi (Optical)
- To help your whole family be creative and stay productive, discover where your imagination can take you with a wireless HP ENVY 5055 all-in-one designed.
- From all your family’s devices-smartphones, tablets, internet-connected Pcs, and more, easily print borderless, high-quality photos and crisp text at home.
- Easily set up your photo printer, scan documents anywhere you go with your smartphone camera, and print from social media or the cloud, such as iCloud, Google Drive, and Dropbox with The HP Smart app.
- Start the new standard in business productivity. The HP Office Jet Pro 8035 All-in-One that includes 8 months of ink, is a revolutionary home office printer, delivered to your door.
- Help increase productivity and save time thanks to Features like Smart Tasks and scan-to-USB capabilities.
- With the 8035’s self-healing Wi-Fi and best-in-class security, reduce interruptions and maintain privacy and control.
- You can be confident in quality prints, no matter how you choose to connect to your wireless printer.
- Compatible operating systems-Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit (SP1), Windows Server 2012 64-bit, Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit, Windows Server 2016. Processor speed – 1200 MHz.
- Minimum system requirements-OS X v10.11 El Capitan; macOS Sierra v10.12 (previously OS X); macOS High Sierra v10.13; macOS Mojave v10.14; 1.5 GB HD;
- Internet access Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7: 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 2 GB available hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD drive or Internet connection, USB port, Internet Explorer.